Last week: In victories against West Mifflin and Thomas Jefferson, Slagus scored 15 and 19 points, respectively, the latter of which was a team-high. Those victories helped push Belle Vernon's winning streak to six games.
Check this out: Slagus, a senior, has made sure that her final season of high school basketball will be a memorable one. She recently eclipsed career totals of 1,000 points and 750 rebounds and she entered the week averaging nearly 20 points a game (19.9), putting her among the top 15 scorers in the WPIAL. TheLeopards were second in the Class AAA Section 4 standings before Thursday.
• Did the 1,000-point and 750-rebound accomplishments mean much to you or is that something people tend to over-hype? That was definitely a remarkable moment and it was a memory from my high school career that I'll always take with me because I had my teammates, family and friends there supporting me.
• What do you think the ceiling is for this team? Maybe a WPIAL championship? I think we've definitely improved so much from where we were last year and our team camaraderie is so much better. If we keep working hard every day in practice, where we can go is unlimited.
• Your sister, Kaitlyn, plays on the team with you. Is there healthy competition between you two or does it ever get heated? I think there's good competition. We push each other in a positive way and we're always there to talk to each other after a good or bad game.
• How's the college search going for you? I've been accepted to a few schools that I'm interested in. I'm just going to wait and see what happens financially before I make a decision.
• What's the nicest thing someone's ever done for you for Valentine's Day? Given me flowers.