Pivotal North Allegheny-Pine-Richland girls' game stopped by lightning

Written by Joe Koch on .

The North Allegheny and Pine-Richland girls lacrosse teams were looking forward to their big showdown this past Tuesday night at Pine-Richland Stadium. And from all indications, it looked as if this game would be a close one as both teams each scored a goal in the game's first four minutes. But a driving rainstorm punctuated by a spectacular display of lightning bolts and flashes prompted game officials to stop the game with 21 minutes, 54 seconds left in the first half.

"I think the game (will be resumed) where it left off," said Pine-Richland coach Tori Trombetta, whose Rams currently are the fourth-rated team in's ratings for girls high school lacrosse teams in Western Pennslvania. Trombetta's Rams are 6-1 overall and 5-0  in Division I, Section 2. North Allegheny is 3-1-1- overall and 2-0-1 in the same section.

Regardless of whether it's picked up where it left off or played again in its entirety, the game will be played at 6 p.m. Monday. A boys game that already had been scheduled between the Pine-Richland and Seneca Valley boys varsity teams will follow.

Both teams will be busy for the rest of April and into May. Pine-Richland has section games remaining with Quaker Valley, Sewickley Academy, Seneca Valley, Fox Chapel, Franklin Regional and a second game with North Allegheny.

The Tigers are just as busy.

Following Thursday's game at Seneca Valley, North Allegheny has eight section games remaining: two against Pine-Richland, two against Sewickley Academy and second-half games against Franklin Regional, Quaker Valley, Seneca Valley and Fox Chapel. Non-section games against Oakland Catholic, Vincentian or Hampton could get bumped if the Tigers need one of those dates to complete the game with Pine-Richland.

Trombetta knows that the Tigers have plenty of section games remaining. But while she and everyone else awaited the decision, there wasn't a player in the Rams' locker room that didn't want to play.

"They were saying 'Please don't cancel! Please don't cancel,'" Trombetta said. "But because of the weather you have to cancel."

Pine-Richland took a 1-0 lead when senior attack Taylor Thene converted a free shot on goal with 22:22 left in the first half. But the Tigers responded just 18 seconds later when sophomore midfielder Yvonne Chick made a pretty spin move in front of the Rams' goal and scored.

"We were moving the ball well early in the game, but it's so early that you can never tell," Trombetta said. "Things change so much in a 50-minute game. But for the first four minutes, it looked pretty good."