Bethel Park back to familiar position
Bethel Park advanced to the WPIAL Class 3A boys volleyball semifinals for the sixth consecutive year with a 3-1 win against Shaler in a quarterfinal match Thursday at Penn-Trafford.
The No. 3 -seeded Black Hawks posted a 25-17 win in the first set, while No. 6 Shaler tied the match with a 29-27 win in the second set. Bethel Park clinched the victory with wins of 26-24 and 30-28.
"The key tonight was our big defense late in the fourth game," Bethel Park coach Zach Smith said.
"Some of our seniors stepped up and played great defense that swung the tide of the game."
Bethel Park will face No. 2-seed and defending champion Penn-Trafford in the semifinals, in a rematch of the WPIAL title match of last year.
Penn-Trafford earned its third semifinal berth in the past five years with a 25-17, 25-16, 25-17 sweep of visiting Upper St. Clair, the No. 10 seed.
Brandon McGowan led the Warriors with 15 kills and 5 serving aces.
Other Class 3A
• No. 1 seed North Allegheny earned its 10th semifinal berth in the past 11 years with a 25-19, 25-11, 25-16 sweep of visiting Peters Township, the No. 9 seed.
• No. 4 Seneca Valley earned its third consecutive trip to the semifinals with a 25-22, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17 win against No. 5 Norwin.
The Raiders will face North Allegheny in the semifinals, as the two face off for a third time this season. The Tigers beat the Raiders twice in section play.
• Defending champ and top-seeded Beaver County Christian earned its fifth consecutive trip to the semifinals with a 25-8, 25-5, 25-10 sweep of No. 8 seed Seton-LaSalle.
The Eagles were led by setter Matthew Knab, who had 21 assists and six blocks.
• No. 3 seed Deer Lakes earned a return trip to the semifinals with a 25-22, 25-18, 25-18 sweep of visiting Montour, the No. 6 seed.
The Lancers will face No. 2 seed Ambridge in the semifinals.
• No. 4 seed Derry earned its fifth semifinal berth in the past six years with a 25-23, 25-22, 25-18 sweep of No. 5 South Park. John Kerr led the Trojans with 10 kills. Derry will face Beaver County Christian in the semifinals.
The semifinals will be played Monday, with Class 3A at Baldwin and Class 2A at North Allegheny.
The championship and consolation matches in both classes will be played next Wednesday at Baldwin.