Pine-Richland tops Mt. Lebanon in OT
Mt. Lebanon's Reed Farber did all he could to extend the Blue Devils' season, but in the end it wasn't enough.
After Farber forced overtime with two late goals, Pine-Richland defenseman Kyle Cunningham scored his second goal of the game 1:17 into overtime to give the No. 6-seeded Rams (12-8-1) a 5-4 victory against No. 11 Mt. Lebanon (6-14-1) in the first round of the Class AAA Penguins Cup playoffs Monday night at Ice Connection.
Cunningham scored his first goal near the end of the first period to tie the score at 2-2. It was the first of three unanswered goals for the Rams, who took a 4-2 lead.
But Farber scored twice in the final 2:04 of regulation, the final one coming with just 29 seconds remaining, to send the game into overtime.
Stephen Sramac and Griffin Nelson also had goals for the Blue Devils.
Andres Binotto and Ryan Cole each had a goal and an assist for the Rams, who move on to the quarterfinals of the postseason for the fourth consecutive season. The previous three came in Class AA.
More Class AAA
* Upper St. Clair 7, Shaler 1: Austin Cassidy had a hat trick and an assist and Matt Finn had a goal and four assists as the Panthers (7-14) beat the Titans (6-15) in a preliminary-round game at Center Ice Arena. Upper St. Clair, which will play No. 5 Penn-Trafford tonight, snapped a 10-game losing streak.
* Bishop Canevin 7, North Hills 2: Blaine Adams scored three goals and Randy Unger had a goal and three assists to lead the No. 1 Crusaders (21-2) past the No. 8 Indians (10-13) in the quarterfinals at Mt. Lebanon Ice Arena. Nikita Meskin stopped 20 of 22 shots.
* Erie Cathedral Prep 7, Chartiers Valley 4: Joe Kelly scored two goals and William Kelly had four assists to lead the No. 2 Ramblers (17-4-2) to a win against the No. 7 Colts (11-12) at Mercyhurst Rink. Cullen McMahon had three goals for the Colts.
* Hampton 3, Plum 2: Michael Stritzinger scored two goals, one to send the game into overtime and then the winner 38 seconds into the extra period to lift the No. 4 Talbots (14-8-1) past the No. 5 Mustangs (12-8-3) at Ice Connection. Hampton's Cam Raidna made 33 saves.
* Freeport 6, Westmont Hilltop 2: Cole Hepler and Stone Haberstroh each had two goals to lead the No. 4 Yellowjackets (15-5-2) past No. 5 Westmont Hilltop (13-7-3) in the quarterfinals at Belmont Ice Complex. Matt Huston made 24 saves to earn the victory.
* Quaker Valley 8, South Fayette 1: The top-seeded Quakers (22-1), trying to win their third consecutive Penguins Cup title, got off to a good start by crushing the No. 8 Lions (4-18) at Airport Ice Arena. Connor Quinn and Ryan Lottes each scored two goals.