No. 4 Central Catholic dealt first loss in soccer
The Central Catholic boys soccer team was one win away from finishing section play unbeaten, but an opposing freshman helped end the Vikings' hopes of perfection Thursday night.
Max Silberg scored two goals to lead visiting Fox Chapel to a 4-1 win at Class AAA No. 4 Central Catholic in Section 3.
Central Catholic (13-2-1, 11-1) still claimed the section title, while Fox Chapel (13-1, 9-1) will finish in second place.
Fox Chapel lost to Central Catholic, 2-0, earlier in the season.
The Foxes have won six games in a row, allowing only three goals in that stretch.
Other boys soccer
• Troye Kiernan scored twice and Class AAA No. 1 Upper St. Clair (14-0-1, 10-0-1) used a five-goal second half to win at No. 3 Peters Township (11-3-1, 8-2-1), 6-1, in Section 5.
• Josh Kruczek's goal two minutes into overtime vaulted Class AAA No. 5 Canon-McMillan (12-2-2, 7-2-2) to a 1-0 Section 5 win at Chartiers Valley (4-8-3, 3-7-2).
• Eric Cunningham and Nick Jewell scored two goals apiece for North Allegheny (10-4, 6-4) in a 7-0 home win against North Hills (4-12, 2-9) in Class AAA Section 2.
• Deer Lakes (11-2-3, 8-2-2) got goals from Joe Dillner and Matt McCausland to defeat Class AA No. 3 Shady Side Academy (12-3, 11-1), 2-1, in a Section 2 match at Highmark Stadium.
• Goalkeeper Sean Rieber made seven saves to earn the shutout for Class A No. 2 Seton-LaSalle (13-1-1, 11-0-1) in a 3-0 win against visiting Bishop Canevin (9-5-2, 6-3-3) in Section 3.
• In a non-section match, Josh Killian scored the second of his two goals with 15 minutes left to help Riverview (10-4-1) rally from a halftime deficit to defeat visiting Jeannette (7-9), 2-1.
• Josh Kucmeroski's first-half goal was all the offense Monessen (12-4, 9-3) needed to defeat host Geibel Catholic (9-6-2, 7-3-2), 1-0, in Class A Section 4.
• Mike Tarasovich scored late in the second overtime to help host North Catholic (2-12) snap a 10-game losing streak with a 3-2 non-section win against Aquinas Academy (5-5-3).
• WPIAL goal-scoring leader Jordan Toohey scored four goals to give her 39 for the season and host Mount Pleasant (10-5-2) rolled to a 5-0 non-section win against Charleroi (11-2-1).
• Kaitlyn Flowers scored her third goal of the game three minutes into overtime to give host Albert Gallatin (1-16) its first win of the season, 3-2, against Beth-Center (3-10) in a non-section match.
• Tynen Greer's three touchdown passes led host Montour (5-2, 4-2) to its third win in a row, 31-14, against Blackhawk (1-6, 1-5) in the Class AAA Parkway Conference. All of Greer's touchdowns came in the first half when Montour took a 28-7 halftime lead. Blackhawk's Chandler Kincade was 13 of 27 for 168 yards and a touchdown.
• James Jackson threw for 167 yards and two touchdowns, and his twin brother, Tim, returned a punt for a touchdown as Allderdice (3-4, 3-1) edged Carrick (0-7, 0-4), 28-26, in a City League game at Cupples Stadium. Carrick scored a touchdown with 2:32 left, but its potential game-tying 2-point conversion attempt failed.