Seton-LaSalle again perfect in section
Another year, another perfect section record for Seton-LaSalle.
The Class AA No. 1 Rebels (20-1, 12-0) finished undefeated in section play for the third consecutive season by beating No. 2 Bishop Canevin (17-4, 10-2), 66-58, in Section 4.
Seton-LaSalle has 36 consecutive section wins, with its most recent section loss coming Feb. 15, 2010.
The host Rebels jumped out to an early 22-8 lead, but Erin Waskowiak scored 11 of her 13 points in the second quarter to help Bishop Canevin get within a point at halftime.
Seton-LaSalle led by four after three quarters and Naje Gibson scored eight of her 20 points in the final quarter to help the Rebels pull away.
Gibson also grabbled a team-high 12 rebounds, while Nicolete Newman added 14 points.
Carly Forse led Bishop Canevin with 17 points.
Other top girls games
• Shatori Walker-Kimbrough scored 22 of her 31 points in the first half to lead Class AAA No. 3 Hopewell (18-3, 9-3) to a 53-38 home win against No. 2 Central Valley (16-4, 8-4) in Section 2.
• Ciara Gregory hit a free throw with 28 seconds left to lift Jeannette (14-6, 11-1) to a 54-53 victory against host Greensburg Central Catholic (15-6, 10-2) in Class AA Section 3. Gregory finished with a game-high 29 points as the Jayhawks won the section title.
• Led by Lydya Dennis' 13 points, Uniontown (17-2, 11-1) won Class AAA Section 3 with a 44-41 victory against visiting Indiana (14-7, 9-3). The Red Raiders trailed by five midway through the fourth quarter, but used a 14-0 run to take the lead for good.
• Brenna Wise had 16 points and 13 rebounds to help Class A No. 1 Vincentian (21-0, 12-0) finish Section 2 play unbeaten with a 50-33 home win against No. 3 North Catholic (13-8, 10-2).
• Sydney Bordonaro scored 14 points to help Class AA No. 3 Burrell (19-2, 10-0) clinch Section 1 with a 43-32 road victory against No. 4 Deer Lakes (17-3, 8-2).
• Sophomore Chassidy Omogrosso of Class AAA No. 1 Blackhawk (21-0, 12-0) scored 21 points to give her 1,015 in her career in a 73-48 win against visiting New Castle (8-14, 4-8) in Section 2.
Girls hot shots
• Players with four or more 3-pointers: Marissa Heaney, Union, 6; Ciara Gregory, Jeannette, 4; Celina DePietro, Bishop Canevin, 4; Katie Fischer, Ambridge, 4.
• Peters Township girls soccer player Veronica Latsko was named the Gatorade Pennsylvania Player of the Year. It is the second consecutive year she won the award.
(Photo: Vincentian Academy's Kiersten Elliott and North Catholic's Abby Goetz fight for the ball Thursday night at Marshall Middle School. Vincentian won, 50-33. Matt Freed/Post-Gazette.)