South Fayette earns section crown in AA
(Photo: Burrell High School's John Andrejcik wins 16 to 3 against Valley's DJ Lockett in the 132 pound match. Bill Wade/Post-Gazette.)
South Fayette recorded five pins and two major decisions en route to a dominating 44-19 victory at Chartiers-Houston. The Lions (5-0), ranked No. 2 in WPIAL Class AA, claimed the Section 1A title and earned the right to play host to the section tournament next week, while the No. 5 ranked Buccaneers (4-1) finished in second.
Chartiers-Houston jumped out to a 6-0 lead with Tanner Sutton's pin at 145, but that was the Buccaneers' only lead as South Fayette won seven of the next eight bouts to take a commanding 37-10 lead. Grant Fetchet (152), Jack Previte (170), Zach Walker (220), Mike Shildt (285) and Jasper Wolfe (106) recorded pins for the Lions in the rally. Seth Carr's major decision at 120 clinched the victory.
"I never expected a 25-point win," South Fayette coach Rick Chaussard said. "I expected a dogfight to the end. We got on a roll in the middle and upper weights and had a surprisingly easy win. Getting a home site in the section tournament is a bonus."
More Class AA
• No. 1 Burrell (4-0) edged No. 7 Valley (3-1), 36-34, to claim the title in Section 3B. Steven Edwards (145), Phillip Marra (152) and Dakota DesLauriers (182) had pins for Burrell. Damon Greenwald recorded the Buccaneers' biggest win at 126 with a 9-4 upset of WPIAL champion Pat Dewitt.
• South Allegheny (4-0) claimed first place in Section 3A and earned a home site in the section tournament next week with a 51-27 win at Keystone Oaks (2-2). Miguel Morales (126), Mike Whaby (132), Joey Sorrentino (152), Cory Morgo (170) and Mark Tortorice (285) had pins for South Allegheny.
• North Hills (3-2) upset No. 5 Hampton (4-1), 36-28, in Section 3A. The Talbots finished in a tie for first with Central Catholic (4-1), while the Indians finished third. Tyler Walker (126) had a pin for North Hills, while teammates Devin Klaas (113), Keagan Lawson (120) and Alen Turcenhodzic (220) recorded major decisions.
• No. 10 Latrobe (5-0) upset No. 7 Greensburg Salem (4-1), 39-27, to claim the top spot in Section 1B. Jake Shaffer (138), Zack Zavatsky (170) and Tyler Mears (285) had pins for Latrobe.
• Mt. Lebanon (4-1) claimed second place in Section 2B with a 33-32 win against Bethel Park (4-1).